If you’re considering a job at retail, you may want to know how old do you have to be to work at Tilly’s.
Tillys is known for its upbeat environment and its place in the retail world catering to a young, energetic crowd with an active lifestyle and a love for fashion.
So, if joining a dynamic team that’s all about the latest trends appeals to you, you’ll want to meet the hiring criteria, starting with age.
The minimum age requirement to work at Tillys is 16 years old.
At this age, you can apply for entry-level positions; however, if you’re under 18, keep in mind that some states might require you to obtain a work permit.
This permits young workers like you to gain valuable work experience while ensuring compliance with child labor laws.
If you’re interested in climbing up to management positions in the future, just know that Tillys typically prefers candidates to be at least 18 years old for these roles.
How Old Do You Have To Be To Work At Tilly’s?
To secure a position at Tilly’s, you need to be at least 16 years old.
This age requirement is consistent across the United States, and it pertains primarily to entry-level retail roles.
If you’re under 18, you may require a work permit, depending on the state in which you seek employment.
For those aspiring to managerial positions or roles with more responsibility, Tilly’s generally prefers candidates to be at least 18 years old.
This ensures that all team leaders and managers have the appropriate maturity and experience to handle their duties effectively.
Here’s a quick breakdown:
- Entry-Level Positions:
- Minimum Age: 16 years old
- Work Permit: May be required if under 18
- Management Roles:
- Minimum Age: 18 years old
Your enthusiasm for fashion and proactive teamwork can make Tilly’s an exciting place to start your career.
Remember, while age is an important factor, your passion for the brand and readiness to engage with customers are equally vital.
Employment Laws by State
When considering employment at Tillys or any other company, it’s important to note that youth employment laws can vary from state to state.
Here’s what you need to know about the employment laws for minors in California, Texas, and New York.
California Youth Employment
In California, if you’re under 18, you will need to have a permit to work.
The minimum age to work at most non-agricultural jobs is 14 years old.
However, there are restrictions on the number of hours you can work if you are aged 14 and 15, mainly to make sure your work does not interfere with your school responsibilities.
Texas Workforce Guidelines
For those of you in Texas, at 16 years old, you can work without any hour restrictions compared to younger teens.
If you are 14 or 15 years old, you are allowed to work, but your work schedule can’t conflict with school hours. Texas law does not require work permits for minors.
New York Child Labor Standards
In New York State, once you reach 14 years old, you’re eligible for certain types of work with a permit.
Until you turn 18, you’ll need working papers which are officially called Certificates of Employment.
The working hours are limited on school days and overall during the week for anyone under 16, to ensure education is not neglected.
Position-Specific Age Requirements
When considering a job at Tillys, knowing the age requirements for different positions is crucial for a successful application.
Here’s a breakdown:
- Entry-Level Positions: For roles such as retail sales associates, you must be at least 16 years old.
- These positions are often filled by high-school students due to the flexible part-time hours that Tillys offers.
- Management Positions: If you’re aiming for a management role, you need to be 18 years or older.
- Tillys tends to promote from within, so starting in an entry-level position could be your stepping stone to a management career.
It’s worth noting that if you’re under 18, certain states may require you to obtain a work permit.
Be sure to check the regulations in your state before applying.
Here’s a quick reference:
|Minimum Age Requirement
Remember, these age requirements ensure that you’re eligible for the specific job roles and comply with labor laws.
If in doubt, you can always contact the store you wish to apply to for further clarification. Happy job hunting!
Permits and Working Papers
Before you start your job at Tillys, it’s important to understand the necessity of work permits and working papers.
These documents confirm your ability to be employed.
Obtaining A Work Permit
To work at Tillys if you’re a minor, you’ll need a work permit, also known as employment or age certificates.
Work Permits serve as legal documentation that acknowledges your employment eligibility under state and federal law.
Here’s what you’d typically need to do:
- Request an application from your school’s office or state department of labor.
- Fill out the application form with your personal details.
- Have a parent or guardian sign the form, if required.
- Take the form to your prospective employer to complete their section.
- Return the form to your school or designated issuing body.
- Wait for it to be processed; you’ll receive a work permit upon approval.
State-Specific Paperwork Requirements
State requirements can vary, so it’s essential to check the specifics for your location.
For instance, in Connecticut, no permit is required for governmental jobs or child performers, whereas New York mandates working papers for minors aged 14 to 17.
To find the requirements for your state:
- Visit your state’s labor department website for detailed instructions.
- Check with your school administration; they often know the state-specific requirements.
- Remember, even when work permits aren’t required by the state, Tillys may have its own requirements, so always double-check with your hiring manager.
Preparing For Your First Job
When you’re gearing up for your first job at a place like Tillys, you need to be at least 16 years old.
Before you apply, let’s organize your approach to ensure you’re ready!
1. Understand The Job Requirements
- Research Tillys to grasp what they’re looking for in an employee.
- Check the job descriptions for roles that suit your interests.
2. Create Your Resume
- Start with your contact information.
- List any volunteer work or extracurricular activities you’ve participated in.
3. Prep For The Interview
- Read about common interview questions and prepare your answers.
- Practice good posture and clear communication.
4. Plan Your Transportation
- Figure out how you’ll get to work, whether it’s by car, public transport, or a ride from a family member.
5. Dress Appropriately
- Choose an outfit that is neat and aligns with the store’s style.
Checklist for Application Success:
- Verify age eligibility (16+ for Tillys).
- Polish your resume.
- Rehearse interview questions.
- Arrange your travel plans.
- Pick out your work attire.
Remember, landing your first job is a big step—pat yourself on the back for taking it!
Company Culture And Growth Opportunities
At Tillys, you’ll find a vibrant and youthful company culture that is both inclusive and positive.
This environment aligns well with the company’s core values and aims to foster a space where everyone feels welcome.
What to Expect
- Community: Emphasis on team collaboration and a supportive atmosphere.
- Diversity: Inclusive practices ensuring a diverse work environment.
- Creativity: Encouragement of individual expression and ideas.
Growth Within Tillys
- Professional Development: Opportunities to learn and advance in various roles.
- Recognition: Acknowledgment and rewards for hard work and success.
- Career Pathways: Clear progression routes for ambitious individuals.
It’s important to note, your growth at Tillys can be influenced by your drive to seize these opportunities and your commitment to the company values.
If you’re interested in working at Tillys, ensure you meet their age requirement.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Minimum Age Requirement: To be eligible for employment at Tillys, you must be at least 16 years old.
- Hiring Policy Insights: Although the standard hiring age is 16, some positions may have different requirements.
- It’s always good to check the specific job listing or contact the store directly to confirm.
Experience in retail isn’t always necessary but can be beneficial.
Here are a few additional points to consider when applying:
- Underage Considerations: If you’re 14 or 15, remember that Tillys won’t hire at this age.
- However, other retail stores, grocery chains, or fast-food restaurants may offer opportunities for your age group.
- Cultural Fit: Tillys looks for candidates who can provide a positive customer experience and contribute to their team dynamics.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the wage expectations based on some job roles:
|Seasonal Sales Associate
|Lead Sales Associate
|$8 – $11/hour
Always ensure you’re well-prepared for the interview process to increase your chances of getting hired. Good luck!