f you’re considering a job at Michaels, a leading arts and crafts retail chain, knowing how old do you have to be to work at Michaels is an essential first step.
At Michaels, the minimum age for employment is 16 years.
This allows high school students and young adults the chance to join the workforce and gain valuable experience in retail.
At 16, you’re able to apply for several entry-level positions, which might include roles like cashiering or stock replenishing.
These positions can provide you with a foundational understanding of customer service, sales, and the operations of a retail store.
If you have a creative streak or an interest in arts and crafts, working at Michaels could be particularly rewarding, as the environment is centered on creativity and crafting.
For those of you who are 18 and older, additional opportunities become available, such as roles that require the operation of machinery.
It’s important to note that certain positions, specifically ones that involve more responsibility or technical skill, might have different age requirements.
Being aware of these varying requirements can help you plan your job search and career growth effectively.
How Old Do You Have To Be To Work At Michaels?
When considering employment at Michaels, it’s important to know the age requirements which vary based on the job role and your location.
Local Law Compliance
Your eligibility to work at Michaels is subject to the labor laws in your area.
Generally, Michaels complies with local labor laws, which means that the minimum age for employment can be as low as 16 years old, provided you have a working permit if required.
However, for specific roles, especially those involving the operation of machinery or leadership positions like management, the minimum age is 18.
Types Of Employment For Minors
If you’re between 16 and 18 years old, you’re typically eligible for entry-level positions such as:
- Sales Associate
- Merchandise Stocking
It’s essential to note that even within these roles, you may be limited in the hours you can work and the types of tasks you can perform, as Michael’s policy aligns with child labor regulations to ensure a safe and legal working environment for minors.
Job Application Process
When you’re ready to embark on your job search at Michaels, you’ll find that the application process is straightforward and digital.
Creating An Account
To kick-start your application journey, you’ll need to create an account on the Michaels career website. Here’s how:
- Visit the official Michaels careers page.
- Click on the ‘Create Account’ link.
- Fill in your personal details, such as your name, email address, and create a password.
- Confirm your account via the email sent to your inbox.
Submitting The Application
With your account set up, you can now submit your job application. Follow these steps:
- Log in to your new Michaels career account.
- Browse through the available job listings and select the one that suits your interests and skills.
- Read the job description thoroughly to understand the role’s requirements.
- Click ‘Apply’ to begin filling out your job application form with your personal and professional information.
- Attach your resume and cover letter if required. These documents should be up-to-date and tailored to highlight your qualifications for the job at Michaels.
- Review your application for accuracy, then submit it for consideration.
Types Of Jobs Available
In exploring career options at Michaels, you’re looking at a variety of roles that cater to different interests and skill sets, from hands-on retail positions to more corporate roles.
- Cashier/Sales Team Member: Your starting point could be as a cashier or sales team member, where you engage with customers, handle transactions, and keep the store looking its best.
- Merchandise Stocking Associate: If you prefer organizing and stocking, the role of a merchandise stocking associate would involve replenishing and arranging products on the sales floor.
- Custom Art Framer: Have a knack for artistry? As a custom art framer, you’d create custom framing solutions to meet customer specifications.
- Support Center Roles: At the Support Center in Texas, your talents could contribute to the broader operation of Michaels stores.
- Distribution Center Positions: Working at one of the company’s distribution centers across the US, you’d ensure products are received, stored, and shipped out to various retail locations efficiently.
Employment at Michaels retail stores starts at 16 years old with a work permit, offering you a platform to begin building your career.
Work Permit And Documentation
Before you can start working at Michaels or any other employer in the United States, you need to ensure that you have the appropriate work permit and documentation, especially if you are a minor.
For Minors (Under 18):
- 14 to 15 years old: You need a work permit before starting any job.
- 16 to 17 years old: You also require a work permit. For specific forms like the CA-7, these may be printed on distinctive paper like yellow to denote their purpose.
Obtaining Your Work Permit:
- Secure a job offer.
- Visit your school’s guidance office (or the equivalent issuer in your area) to get a work permit application.
- Fill out the application with your employer.
- Return the completed application to the guidance office to receive your work permit.
- Hours of work for 14 and 15-year-olds are limited. You cannot work before 7:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.
- When school is in session, 16 to 17-year-olds are limited to 24 hours per week; the limit rises to 48 hours when school is not in session.
Each time you start a new job, you’ll need a new work permit. If your job duties change significantly at any point, your existing permit might no longer be valid.
Keep this in mind to avoid any legal issues and ensure a smooth employment experience.
Benefits And Learning Opportunities
Working at Michaels offers you more than just a paycheck; it’s a chance to grow and contribute to a community that values creativity and teamwork.
At Michaels, you have the opportunity to develop a range of skills.
Whether you start as a cashier, sales associate, or in merchandising, you’ll learn about retail operations, customer service, and product knowledge.
Your creativity can flourish here, especially if you engage in roles like custom framing, where attention to detail and an artistic touch are key.
Team And Culture
You’ll find that teamwork is an integral part of the culture at Michaels.
You’ll work in a supportive environment where collaboration is encouraged.
Engaging with a diverse team helps you build interpersonal skills and understand the value of different perspectives.
The emphasis on a collective effort reinforces a positive working environment where everyone’s contributions are valued.
- Minimum Age Requirement: To work at Michaels, you generally need to be at least 16 years old for entry-level positions such as cashier roles.
- Age Varies by Position: For specialized roles, like a framer, you’re required to be over 18.
- Flexibility in Employment Age: Though the base age is 16, certain positions that entail management or specialized tasks mandate candidates to be older, usually 18 and above.
- Possibility of Employment Before 18: If you’re under 18, you’re likely to be considered for roles involving customer interaction at the storefront, like cashiering and floor jobs.
- Region-Specific Pay Rates: Michaels’ pay rates can differ depending on the local minimum wage laws.
Remember, regardless of age, having an interest in creativity and crafts can be a valuable asset when seeking employment at Michaels, reflecting their focus on serving the creative community.